- 1pound ripe, fresh tomatoes, peeled if desired and finely chopped
- 1plump garlic clove, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1tablespoon slivered or chopped fresh basil
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1(15-ounce) can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- ¾pound fusille or farfalle
- ¼cup crumbled feta or freshly grated Parmesan (more to taste)
- Combine the tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, basil, and olive oil in a wide bowl. Let sit for 15 minutes. Stir in the chick peas. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add a generous amount of salt and the pasta. Cook al dente, until the pasta is firm to the bite. Drain, toss with the tomatoes and chick peas, sprinkle on the cheese, and serve.
By Martha Rose Shulman